Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Sport Business Education Network: MySpace Profile

So now we come to the second part of the Sport Business Education Network (SBEN)--their MySpace profile. In my last post, I critiqued a lot of the main website for the SBEN, but overall I think they have a great mission and fill the need for networking opportunities for sport business students. I previously reviewed the independent website, today's review will focus on their MySpace profile:

Aesthetics
This is a typical MySpace profile, with default colors. I personally don't like the default colors, but they are the default. The profile picture is still the ugly blue rectangle logo.


Design

Once again, standard MySpace fare. No special layouts or anything
Content--There are two main sources of content for the SBEN's MySpace. First are the comments. As of today there are 252 comments, with most of them being requests for jobs or internships, some are questions about college or grad school, and then there are some opportunities as well. I've never posted a request or opportunity there, so I'm not sure how well this works. If anyone has used it, good or bad results, please comment and let me know. The other main content is their blog, the most recent entries were:


  • 2-20-07-Newest sport jobs and internships (view more)

    Sport & Culture in the Global Marketplace Study Abroad Program (view more)

    2-7-07-Newest sport jobs and internships (view more)

    “A Brand Is Like a Living Creature” (view more)

    Conference Announcement (view more)
The job postings in the blog seem to be mostly from www.teamworkonline.com, but they may have listings from NIRSA as well. There are often interesting links to sport management news stories and conferences as well.

Links

As mentioned above, the blog often has interesting links to various sport management websites or news stories.


Price

As they state on their main webpage, SBEN will always be free. As long as MySpace remains free then this aspect of SBEN will be free as well. The only drawback with the site is that a MySpace profile is required to post comments. Additionally, many students do not have the most professional profiles, so as a potential employer I might hold off hiring someone after seeing their drunk night at the beach photo where they lit a beach chair on fire. [As far as I know, there are no profiles with that specific photo on MySpace].

Overall

Overall, I do like this organization. I don't have a MySpace profile, so I haven't done any posting on their comments, and I'd rather network in person. However, I still think this is a great resource for students to look into, and am subscribed to their blog.

No comments: